Mr. E. Somanathan
Address : ICIMOD, Nepal
SANDEE Grant Period: 14-06-2002 to 14-06-2004
SANDEE Publications :
- Somanathan, E. and J. Jalan (2005), 'Danger Dirty Water! An Assessment of the Importance of Information in Improving Water use Hygiene', SANDEE Policy Brief No. 8 - 05
- Somanathan, E. and J. Jalan (2005), 'The importance of being informed: experimental evidence on the demand for environmental quality', SANDEE Working Paper No. 8 - 04
- Somanathan, E., J. Jalan and S. Choudhuri (2004), 'Adoption of Safe Drinking Water Practices: Does Awareness of Health Effects Matter?', SANDEE Policy Brief No. 4 - 04
- Jalan, J., E. Somanathan and S. Choudhuri (2003), 'Awareness and the Demand for Environmental Quality: Drinking Water in Urban India, SANDEE Working Paper No. 4-03
Other Publications : Working Papers
- Climate Policy and Innovation in the Absence of Commitment, with Ashokankur Datta.
If you do not have access to a paper below, you can e-mail me (som [at] isid.ac.in).
- Impact of Biometric Identification-based transfers with Arka Roy Chaudhuri, Economic and Political Weekly, 46(21): 77-80, May 21, 2011.
- Effects of Information on Environmental Quality in Developing Countries. Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, 4(2): 275-292, Summer 2010.
- What Do We Expect from an International Climate Agreement? A Perspective from a Low-income Country in Joseph Aldy and Robert Stavins (Eds), Climate Change Policy Beyond Kyoto, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Climate change: Challenges facing India's poor with Rohini Somanathan, Economic and Political Weekly, 44(31): 51-58, August 1, 2009. (Erratum: The labels in Figure 3a are interchanged.)
- Decentralization for cost-effective conservation with R. Prabhakar and B.S. Mehta, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 106(11): 4143-4147, March 17, 2009. Download the data and programs for this paper.
- Awareness and the Demand for Environmental Quality: Survey Evidence on Drinking Water in Urban India with Jyotsna Jalan and Saraswata Chaudhuri, Environment and Development Economics, 14(6): 665-692, December 2009. Download the data.
- Discrimination in an Elite Labour Market? Job Placements at the Indian Institute of Management - Ahmedabad with Sujoy Chakravarty, the Economic and Political Weekly, 43(44): 45-50, November 1, 2008.
- The Importance of Being Informed: Experimental Evidence on Demand for Environmental Quality with Jyotsna Jalan, Journal of Development Economics, 87(1): 14-28, August 2008. Download the questionnaires, data, and programs for this paper.
- Biodiversity, pp. 32-35 in the Oxford Companion to Economics in India, edited by Kaushik Basu, Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Collective Action for Forest Conservation: Does Heterogeneity Matter? with R. Prabhakar and B.S. Mehta, pp. 234-245 in Inequality, Cooperation, and Environmental Sustainability edited by Jean-Marie Baland, Pranab Bardhan and Samuel Bowles, Princeton University Press, November 2006.
- How Degraded are Himalayan Forests? with R. Prabhakar and B.S. Mehta, Current Science, 91(1): 61-67, July 10, 2006. Comments and our response, 92(4): 418-420, February 25, 2007. Training sites used for image classification in the paper are available on the India Biodiversity Portal.
- Measuring the marginal value of water and the elasticity of demand for water in agriculture, with R. Ravindranath, Economic and Political Weekly, 41(26): 2712-2715, June 30-July 7, 2006.
- Environmental Policy Instruments in Developing Countries with Thomas Sterner, pp. 217-244 in Economic Development and Environmental Sustainability: New Policy Options, edited by Ramon Lopez and Michael A. Toman, Oxford University Press, June 2006.
- A Simple Model of Collective Action with Rajiv Sethi, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 54(3): 725-747, April 2006.
- Valuing Lives Equally: Distributional Weights for Welfare Analysis. Economics Letters, 90:122-125, January 2006.
- Inequality and Environmental Policy, in Environment, Inequality, and Collective Action, edited by Marcello Basili, Maurizio Franzini, and Alessandro Vercelli, Routledge: New York, January 2006.
- Norm Compliance and Strong Reciprocity, with Rajiv Sethi, pp. 229-250 in Moral Sentiments and Material Interests: The Foundations of Cooperation in Economic Life edited by Herbert Gintis, Samuel Bowles, Robert Boyd, and Ernst Fehr, MIT Press, 2005.
- The Evolution of Honesty, with Paul H. Rubin, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 54(1): 1-17, May 2004.
- "What can we learn from Cultural Group Selection and Co-evolutionary Models?" with Rajiv Sethi, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 53(1): 105-108, January 2004.
- Understanding Reciprocity with Rajiv Sethi, in the Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 50(1): 1-27, January 2003.
- Can Growth Ease Class Conflict? in Economics and Politics, March 2002, 14(1): 65-81.
- Empowering Local Government: Lessons from Europe in the Economic and Political Weekly, October 13, 2001, 36(41), pp 3935-40.
- Preference Evolution and Reciprocity with Rajiv Sethi in the Journal of Economic Theory, April 2001.
- Humans as Factors of Production: An Evolutionary Analysis with Paul H. Rubin in Managerial and Decision Economics, November-December 1998.
- Evolutionary Stability of Pure-Strategy Equilibria in Finite Games in Games and Economic Behavior, October-November 1997.
- The Evolution of Social Norms in Common Property Resource Use with Rajiv Sethi in the American Economic Review, September 1996, pp 766-88.
- Deforestation, Property Rights and Incentives in Central Himalaya in the Economic and Political Weekly, January 26,1991, 26(4), Political Economy Supplement 37-46.
- "Understanding India's Economic Growth." Review of Pulapre Balakrishnan's Economic Growth in India: History and Prospect. Economic and Political Weekly, March 19,2011, 46(12), 29-31.
Current Research Area/ Interests : Environment and development economics with a focus on India.
Evolutionary models of behavior